The U.S. Department of Labor announced the Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA) will extend the grace period to obtain new Login.gov credentials for the EFAST2 filing system until Dec. 31, 2023.
1. Does this extend the filing deadline for Form 5500?
No, Form 5500’s filing deadline is not extended. Login.gov credentials were required to be obtained by September 1, 2023. However, the extension will allow users to obtain new Login.gov credentials for the EFAST2 until 12/31/2023.
2. Who needs to register to use EFAST2?
EFAST2 user credentials belong to the individual who obtains them. They cannot be shared. Some of the following people may need to register for EFAST2:
- Anyone who wants to complete the Form 5500, Form 5500-SF, or Form 5500-EZ and/or the schedules by using IFILE. Select the “Filing Author” and/or “Schedule Author” user type(s) when registering.
- All plan sponsors, plan administrators, individuals signing for Direct Filing Entities, and plan service providers that have written authorization to file on behalf of the plan administrator under the EFAST2 e-signature option. Select the “Filing Signer” user type when registering. If an individual is signing a filing as the plan administrator or plan sponsor, that individual only needs to register once.
- Some people who want to transmit completed filings through third-party software. Check the “Transmitter” user type. Contact your third-party software provider to determine if this is necessary.
3. What is EFAST2?
EFAST2 is an electronic, web-based system that receives Annual Return/Reports filed on most Form 5500s.
4. What if I use a third-party software approved by the DOL for use under EFAST2?
Generally, users using a third-party software approved by the DOL for use under EFAST2 don’t need to log into EFAST2. Coordinate with your third-party vendor for clarification.
5. How can I check if I’m already registered?
If you are not sure whether you have an active EFAST2 account, select Forgot User ID on the EFAST2 login page. Next, enter the email address that you believe you entered during registration.
- If you have registered that email address, you will be prompted to answer your challenge question to view your EFAST2 User ID.
- If you have not registered that email address, you will see an error indicating that this email address doesn’t match what we have on file.